6 Best CBD Cream For Pain
This article contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
CBD has become one of the biggest emerging markets out today. With numerous companies developing cannabis products designed to benefit people, the popularity of CBD is only growing. Loved by the old and young (as well as those who’ve never taken traditional marijuana), users cite that CBD helps them with everything from pain relief to mental conditions like anxiety and depression.
Although research is still early, pain relief is considered a prominent case study for CBD’s use. Professional athletes hailing from football, basketball, and an array of other sports cite CBD as a part of their regular routine, especially topicals. Helping with achy muscles as well as spasms, topical CBD solutions have been a great over the counter relief, especially in comparison to taking regular pain relievers.
Becoming absorbed into the skin, cannabidiol helps with inflammation and joint pain, which if those are common symptoms to you, then topical CBD might not be a bad solution. Although a growing trend amongst consumers, CBD is also a budding industry amongst entrepreneurs as well. Because of this, the competition for who’s worth your dollar is at its peak.
To help you decipher who the best suppliers of CBD topicals are, we decided to compile some research around the industry to showcase what the top brands look like. Even if you’re already taking CBD topicals, these are good to compare against, ensuring that whatever you’re using is worth doing. After diving into a wide variety of companies, here’s what we considered our top five. Scroll to the bottom for full reviews.
Top 5 CBD Topical Brands for Pain
How Was The CBD Topical List Made?
Before we dive into the next big thing in pain relief, we first want to go over how we compiled this list. As the CBD industry (and more broadly, hemp in general) is filled with quite an extensive array of goods that range in price, size and dosage, it’s important to choose which one best fits your needs.
As CBD pain relief topicals are supposed to help you with an array of symptoms, knowing what you’re putting on your skin is vital to ensuring that you not only get proper treatment but also are not putting any harmful chemicals on your body. Even without the danger of unwanted materials in your CBD topical, buying a bunk product can leave you wasting a ton of money and time. Plus, it leaves distrust in the CBD industry, making many first-timers leave before they find the treatment that’s right for them.
To decipher what the best CBD topicals are, we decided to come up with a list of criteria for our research. First, we ran through a list of the most popular brands of CBD that we could think of, as well as what newcomers were making waves. Second, we looked through the details of each brand, coming up with a list of commonalities as well as distinct product features that are considered innovative for the industry. Finally, we looked into what the experts and influencers were saying on Instagram, YouTube, and Reddit, as well as science journals and magazines.
For our final list of criteria, we narrowed down the list of CBD topicals based upon the biggest key factors. Here’s what we ended up choosing:
● Where the hemp was sourced from.
● The type of extraction process used (including isolates, full spectrum, and broad spectrum).
● The products available, including topicals and other special blends.
● How the brand is perceived by fans and experts.
● If the products are made in the USA or outsourced.
● The dosage of CBD available.
● How transparent they are about what’s in their products and how their testing results came out.
● How their reviews sound including if there’s any red flags.
Finally, we took into account trying the product- either ourselves or asking trusted sources who have used these products as well.
Best CBD Topical Brands For Pain 2021
As the CBD industry has blossomed since the signing of the 2018 Farm Bill, there’s a number of different pain topicals out there that use hemp, CBD, or other cannabis products. With that being said, our focus was on CBD topicals that specifically help with pain. Furthermore, this list is designed to be a litmus test against other CBD brands. Well you might have a CBD product that you use regularly, it might not be a bad idea to compare it to what’s on our list as an education lesson in what CBD is all about.
As we noted above, all of the CBD topicals on this list have been put together based on a number of different factors that include how it was produced, what type of hemp was used, and if there’s any extra ingredients to be made aware of. After rigorous testing, here’s what we came up with:
Penguin: Best Newcomer
Next on our list is Penguin , who’ve crept up into the CBD world as a brand with exceptional value and consistency. Although they currently only have one topical in their CBD Cream , it’s also one of the best options on the market. With a smooth but rich texture, it’s easily a top contender for best overall bang for your buck.
With cannabis that’s sourced from Oregon, Penguin’s CBD utilizes 100% organic hemp and a CO2 extraction process. For their CBD Cream, Penguin keeps it simple on the ingredient list, providing only all-natural ingredients that are both soothing and stress-free.
Hosting a soothing aroma, Penguin’s CBD cream is Peppermint Lavender, a combination that’s both relaxing while also leaving a slight tingle. Starting at $55, this is also one of the more affordable topical solutions available, especially considering it’s 250mg. Perfect for any and all relief, Penguin’s CBD cream is a must-have. It’s easy to see why Merry Jane gave it such a glowing rave review.
After being in the industry for years, Penguin can hold its own against anyone. With subscription pricing knocking off 20%, this is another great value go-to, especially if you don’t want to bother with a lot of choices. As a straightforward topical cream, Penguin certainly has earned their title as best value.
● Clean Ingredients: Utilizing organic hemp that’s source from Oregon, Penguin is one of the better CBD brands out. Additionally, the natural ingredients of lavender and peppermint make for a nice touch. All-in-all, the ingredients make up a lion’s share of why this is a great value, which is easy to see why.
● Thick Texture: Penguin’s CBD cream is versatile in its offering, enabling you to rub it anywhere you need relief.
● Locally Sourced: Penguin’s CBD is sourced from organically grown hemp in Oregon
● Lab Testing: Penguin’s lab results are specific to the CBD cream, and updated in June 2020.
● Guarantee: 30 day return policy if opened or unopened
● Return policy includes opened packages
● CBD cream is versatile in usage.
● Testing is up-to-date
● Subscription pricing available.
● Subscription only saves 20% compared to other brands.
Penguin’s CBD cream is an overall knockout. Although we’ve listed as the best value, that doesn’t mean we cheapened our approach at all. Instead, this has become another product we’ll say is a standard amongst CBD creams, especially considering how versatile it is while also using all-natural ingredients. With an overall great reputation and foundation on its hands, Penguin is only looking up when it comes to delivering exceptional products for 2021.
Colorado Botanicals: Best Quality
Against increased competition and innovation, Colorado Botanicals still towers over its fellow CBD vendors in every way imaginable. Only the best organic ingredients make it into the company’s line of surprisingly affordable topicals, guaranteed to meet anyone’s needs.
Of course, a quality product starts at the roots – literally and figuratively. Quality control “from seed to sale” is Colorado Botanicals’ policy. This means they don’t just wait for third-party results on their final products. Speaking of production, Colorado Botanicals spares no expense with their ISO 9001:2015 facility. But what makes them stand out is their secret, proprietary CO2 extraction process and purification process.
Most vendors won’t admit this, but any additional terpenes and flavonoids are lost during conventional CO2 extractions, leading to “full-spectrum” or “broad-spectrum” products with those compounds artificially added. Meanwhile, Colorado Botanicals designed their CO2 process for terpene, cannabinoid, and flavonoid retention for a genuinely natural extract.
For muscle discomfort, we enjoyed the Colorado Botanicals 400 mg CBD Muscle Rub Pump . The additional ingredients, like organic aloe vera, rosemary leaf extract, penetrate deep down to help relieve tightness and aching. For something even more potent, their 500mg Alleviate gel is perfect for aches and pains. It contains arnica, tea tree oil, menthol, and camphor.
● Superior CO2 Extraction: Colorado Botanicals has many solid points, but nothing stands out more than their unparalleled CBD production. Thanks to their terpene-preserving process, Colorado Botanicals offers extract products that take full advantage of the synergistic “entourage effect.”
● THC-Free Broad-Spectrum CBD: Although topical application won’t cause a “high,” THC is a concern that scares some CBD users. But the Colorado Botanicals extraction process effectively removes tetrahydrocannabinol, along with chlorophyll, fats, and other plant matter. All they leave behind are the compounds you need.
● All-Natural: Contains organic hemp extract and natural plant oils
● Lab Tests: Third-party test results are regularly updated and available on each
product and their lab reports page.
● Superior Quality Control: Tested at various stages before final third-party analysis
● Professional Production: Colorado Botanicals manufactures its extracts in an ISO 9001:2015 facility
● Incredible Pricing: Costs well below other premium CBD products
● Huge Savings: 15% subscriber discount on already fantastic prices
● Appreciation Program: Special discount for veterans, educators, and first-responders
● Risk-Free: Colorado Botanicals offers 60-day free returns on opened or unopened products
● Website offers excellent resources for beginners
Colorado Botanicals has a secret that we may never learn, but that’s okay with us. Their exclusive superior extracts form the foundation of any fantastic CBD product, and topicals are no exception. We were fortunate enough to try both the creams mentioned earlier, and we’re happy to say the results were sensational. If CBD topical creams are on your radar, definitely set a course for Colorado Botanicals.
FOCL Relief Cream: Best Ingredients
FOCL is a well known and respected brand in the CBD realm, known for its top-rated CBD Drops, Relief Cream, CBD gummies, and unique wellness formulas.
One of FOCL’s top products is its powerful CBD Relief Cream . Not only does it contain Premium CBD, but also uses a powerful blend of natural ingredients like Aloe Vera, Menthol, Camphor Bark Oil, and Wintergreen Oil for added relief.
If you’re looking for a CBD topical that works, FOCL’s Relief Cream is genuinely one of the best we’ve tried. For best results, pair with FOCL 2000mg Drops .
● An intense cool to heat sensation for fast relief
● Extensive 3rd party testing
FOCL continues to deliver with its CBD Relief Cream. While we love the CBD component, the added botanicals add a level of relief that is unmatched by its competitors. For athletes, active individuals, and everyone in between, FOCL’s Relief Cream is one of the highest quality topicals on the market. They also offer a Relief Bundle, which is an incredible value .
Leaf Remedys: Best Value
Leaf Remedys Full Spectrum cooling gel is on the top of the CBD topical list because the brand has a great reputation for high quality products at a fair price.
Leaf Remedys cooling gel comes in a 4oz bottle with1000mg CBD concentration. Leaf Remedys Full spectrum oils which are subzero extracted from the highest quality organically grown Colorado hemp. The advantage of this extraction method is that a high-quality hemp plant can become a full spectrum extract without any further extractions resulting in a more preserved and purer Full Spectrum oil retaining all the natural cannabinoids and terpenes.
The instant cooling effect comes from the base of the gel which has a nice settle minty scent and carries four powerful, all-natural anti-inflammatories. This is a great option for someone that is looking to instantly manage pain and inflammation and still get the long-term benefits of high-quality CBD. Gel provides greater moisturizing effect and is lighter than cream making it easier for the skin to absorb the natural base of the gel and the CBD to avoid build up that occurs with some heavier creams.
● Fast-Absorbing Formula: Leaf Remedys Full Spectrum Gel features a formula that works quickly by absorbing into the skin soon after the Gel is applied. This helps with managing pain and inflammation in the affected area faster.
● Third-party Lab Testing: The purity of a CBD product is critical – which is why it is always important to look at the lab testing results. Leaf Remedys offer a full overview of the laboratory test results on their website. These tests are done by a third-party laboratory. It ensures the customer is able to see just how pure the product really is.
● Dosage: Each Bottle of Gel contains 1000mg Full Spectrum CBD. This ensures the user is able to gain the benefits expected from a product that contains CBD as an active ingredient.
● Free Shipping: Another important feature is the fact that the Leaf Remedys Gel comes with free shipping to US addresses. This helps to reduce the overall cost that will be paid to get the product to the customer’s doorstep.
● Colorado Grown: The hemp used in the manufacturing of Leaf Remedys products is all locally grown in the Colorado. This Guarantees high quality CBD and gives the manufacturer more control over the growing methods used.
● Easy delivery method: Leaf Remedys CBD Gel comes in a 4oz pump style bottle, making it easier for daily use.
● Low price tag compared to other options.
● The Fast-Absorbing formula helps to provide results in a shorter duration of time.
● Great minty scent
● Shipping is free to US addresses.
● Low amount of gel needed to feel benefits
● Only offered in one option of 1000mg strength
● The cream is only available in a single aroma option.
Price: $59.99 one-time purchase or $41.99 with subscription
There is a good number of reviews and testimonials on their website. Most of their customers seem to be satisfied with the instant relief of the Gel , the scent, and good pricing.
R+R Medicinals: Best Performance
R+R Medicinals spent over a year developing this 1000mg CBD Cream with a team consisting of multiple chemists, a doctor, and several variants to ensure one thing – that it WORKS. With over 1000mg of Full-Spectrum CBD in each 2.5 fl oz tube, this cream is of incredible value for only $39.99, which is the price you’d pay for most other brands for a third of the potency.
They use hemp from their partner farm, which is USDA Organic certified, and is an outdoor grow. Using supercritical Co2 extraction, they yield an impressive 8 different cannabinoids in this full spectrum product; CBG, CBC, CBDv, CBN, CBL, and CBDa and more!
They blend premium ingredients like Arnica Montana, MSM, Jojoba Oil, and more with their Full-Spectrum CBD extract from their proprietary Cherry strain of USDA Certified Organic hemp to yield an impressive result. It doesn’t have menthol or other poor smelling ingredients to ensure anyone can use this cream anywhere, anytime. Simple and effective, this fragrance and dye-free cream gets the job done with consistent and daily use. With hundreds of 5-star ratings on Google, you can be sure you’ll have a great experience with this product and brand.
● It Works: With consistent use, this is the one product we’ve found that truly does the job due to its quality ingredients. The results aren’t masked by menthol or eucalyptus – it’s the CBD and potent botanicals doing their job!
● Third-party Lab Testing: The purity of a CBD product is critical – which is why it is always important to look at the lab testing results. R+R Medicinals posts all lab results for every batch of product on their site. Customers can view everything from cannabinoids, to non-detectable heavy metals.
● Dosage: Each Bottle of Cream contains 1000mg Full Spectrum CBD in a 2.5fl oz tube. R+R says this should last well over 45 days using about a quarter size dollop each day. It’s tremendous value!
● Free Shipping: R+R offers free shipping to all 50 states as well as subscription discounts.
● Low price tag compared to other options.
● Robust cannabinoid profile in their 1000mg CBD Cream
● Great natural scent; no added dyes or fragrances
● Shipping is free to US addresses.
● Only offered in one option of 1000mg strength
● Currently not vegan, due to Beeswax, but we hear this is changing in the future!
With an in-house, dedicated team to support customers, they take their customer care seriously. They vow to help you out with questions, issues, or suggestions anytime! With a convenient texting option, too, they’re happy to work around your needs.
” RRWORKS20 ” for 20% off their first order!
BATCH CBD finds themselves high on our list with yet another stellar CBD product. Their CBD Relief Balms are often regarded as the best topical CBD solution for arthritis pain. BATCH offers this product in two unique blends – Fire and Ice Blend and Original Blend.
The Fire and Ice Blend has a soothing lemongrass aroma and is enhanced with menthol and camphor for a satisfying cooling sensation. Rub this product directly onto any area of concern and you will experience relief in a matter of minutes. With 1250mg of CBD packed in each balm, this product is wildly popular among athletes, and people with arthritis and back pain.
If menthol isn’t for you, BATCH’s Original Blend is scented with a relaxing lavender and tea tree aroma. The Original Blend is also packed with 1250mg of CBD and works wonders for bodily pain and inflammation.
BATCH is one of the few CBD brands that makes all their products themselves from farm to shelf. As a result, they have gained a reputation for obsessive attention to detail and quality. Between their premium hemp extracts and their easy to use twist up application, BATCH Relief Balms have been making a big splash in the CBD industry.
“Clean-Hands” Application: BATCH designed their Relief Balm in an easy to use twist up application. This allows customers to use one of the most potent and effective topicals on the market without getting messy or greasy hands. This also makes asking a friend for help a little less awkward.
Heating and Cooling Sensation: If the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD weren’t enough, BATCH enhances their Fire and Ice Balm with menthol and camphor oil for a soothing sensation. This allows you to feel an extra level of comfort and relaxation while the therapeutic effects of CBD get to work.
High Quality Ingredients: BATCH has always been known for obsessive attention to detail. In addition to their signature full-spectrum extract, BATCH formulates their balms with all organic ingredients and a pleasant aroma – Lemongrass for the Fire and Ice Balm and Lavender-Tea Tree for the Original.
Free Shipping: BATCH has one of the best customer experiences in the CBD industry. They offer free shipping on all orders and are quick to answer any questions via phone or email.
Highly functional product
Fast absorbing formula with soothing sensation
Organic locally sourced hemp
Full-spectrum formula to best results
Only offered in 1250mg
No subscription offer
Like everything at BATCH, their CBD Relief Balms are crafted to be highly effective. Since BATCH makes their own products in-house, you can feel confident that you are receiving nothing but the highest quality products. Their customer support team is extremely friendly and willing to answer any question. They say the secret to their success is taking pride in being “Midwest Nice” and giving every customer the personal attention they deserve.
Verma Farms: Best Quality
Starting off our list is Verma Farms , who’ve been at the top of the CBD world for a number of years. Developing a reputation for hosting natural, organic CBD products, their CBD topicals are amongst the best of the bunch.
Sourcing their CBD from American grown hemp, they utilize all-natural, pesticide-free products. As Verma was one of the first brands to set the standard for what CBD products should and shouldn’t include, their CBD topicals come in two varieties: Mahalo Muscle Relief and Tropical CBD Lotion.
For their Mahalo Muscle Relief , the product is designed to help athletes and others with muscle spasms, pain, and injuries. As for the tropical CBD lotion, it’s utilized as a catch-all topical product. Both are niche enough in their respective craft while also delivering on what the industry wants, providing a solution that caters to any and all CBD users.
Coming in at 200mg for the Mahalo Muscle Relief and 100mg Tropical CBD lotion , they both hold their own in terms of alleviating pain and soreness. Overall, we can’t say enough about how these products have shaped the market, as practically the gold standard for CBD treatment.
● All Natural Ingredients: Verma is known for including organic and natural ingredients in their products, with the Mahalo Muscle Relief and Tropical CBD lotion as no exception. Not only does this mean you can rest easy knowing that what you’re putting on your skin is safe but also has more benefits than most. Additionally, their added ingredients only aim to soothe, such as the menthol in their muscle relief. All-in-all, Verma holds it down with quality.
● ‘Entourage Effect’ Of Ingredients: Verma understands the importance of an ‘entourage effect’ with their products, where other ingredients help bolster the impact of the CBD. This includes infusing other natural parts like Sunflower Seed or Hemp Seed oils, as well as organic aloe. This further helps with anti-inflammatory necessities, as well as other aspects as well.
● Locally Sourced: The Broad-Spectrum hemp is grown in the USA.
● Lab Testing: Verma’s lab results are up to date.
● Guarantee: 30 day return policy if unopened
● Both products are affordable, natural, and easy to use.
● Broad-Spectrum CBD provides a happy medium for quality meets purity.
● No pesticides used in the growing process.
● Recently tested and published lab results.
● Subscription pricing available.
● The return policy is for unopened goods only.
● Nothing available for dry or cracked skin.
Verma provides an absolute knockout with their performance. An easy-to-use, smart solution, Verma’s topicals help set the standard for relief. As the top contender on our list, they’re a great brand to make your go-to (especially with 25% off for subscription pricing). Year after year Verma Farms has proven to be a winner, with 2021 as no exception.
Medterra: Best Variety
Coming in with four of the best CBD topicals on the market, Medterra easily wins at providing the best variety. Hosting a Pain Relief (with menthol + arnica), Relief + Recovery, Manuka Honey, and Relief + Recovery Roll-On, Medterra additionally enables you to choose from a multitude of strengths per product. Plus, with their Roll-On starting at $19.99, Medterra is driving a great bang for your buck.
Made with hemp grown in Kentucky, Medterra is sourced from all-natural, local farms. Citing a mission to care for others, it’s clear that Medterra tries their best to make good on their word: not only with the ingredients they use but different varieties of products that are all affordably priced. Furthermore, Medterra is a member of the U.S. Hemp Authority, which cites that they provide some of the highest quality CBD available.
As they’re constantly trying to improve their products, Medterra clearly is helping set the standard for what CBD should look like. With affordable pricing, they’re inclusive in their approach while also not skimping on quality. Overall, there’s a reason they rank so highly on nearly every CBD list, coming in with products that are exceptional. Don’t sleep on Medterra, because no matter what you want out of a CBD brand, they’ll likely have an answer.
● Organic Hemp: Grown in Kentucky, Medterra’s product sourcing is top notch.
● Top Variety: Medterra beats out every brand when it comes to variety.
● Locally Sourced: Kentucky grown and USA produced.
● Lab Testing: Medterra’s lab results are up to date.
● Guarantee: 30 day return policy if opened or unopened
● Organically sourced hemp.
● Affordably priced across all products
● Holistic care put into improving lineups.
● Testing is current.
● No subscription pricing available.
● Kentucky growers don’t have the same experience as legal marijuana states.
● Combination of ingredients aren’t for everyone.
Medterra is a great brand to check out if you’re just getting into topicals. From being able to dosage out what you need to providing new, affordable solutions, this is practically a one-stop-shop for introducing yourself to topicals. As a company built by CBD fans for CBD fans, it’s an easy brand to fall in love with. We’re excited to see how Medterra continues its reign as an industry leader.
What To Look For In A CBD Topical
Knowing what to look for in a CBD topical starts with knowing what you’re trying to get out of it. For some, an athlete-focused cream infused with menthol works wonders while a salve that’s better for dry, cracked hands might be better for someone else. This is a big reason we listed out the CBD products based on what their intended purpose is rather than going with all creams or salves. Furthermore, knowing if there are any allergens can play a significant role as well. All-in-all, there are quite a few factors when conducting your own research, which is why we’ve provided a list of top criteria below:
● Ingredients : The ingredients of the CBD you take should almost always be things you recognize or can easily look-up. Check for positive indicators, such as organic ingredients or commonplace cures such as using lavender as a soothing agent. While you might not know everything in a product, it’s also important to seek out any red flags, which can be identified via reviews online. Finally, it’s smart to put the CBD topical on a small portion of your skin to ensure it’s not an irritant.
● Where The Hemp Comes From : Hemp sourcing is perhaps the most important cornerstone of any CBD product. This is the core of why you’re taking it in the first place, as well as the biggest indicator of quality. While some companies will say their CBD is ‘made in America’, it’s actually grown elsewhere and packaged here. Instead, always go for companies that make it transparent where their hemp comes from.
● Lab Testing : Any brand worth taking is going to submit their CBD products to an independent lab for research and testing. This is vital for not only the consumer to understand what they’re taking but the brand as well. Lab tests aren’t just a marketing gimmick but rather an overview of consumption. It’s a goal of CBD to be more transparent than a lot of other industries when it comes to disclosing what’s in their products, with lab testing at the forefront.
● Certifications: As we listed above, some brands will host certifications to show customers that they’re legit. Genuinely including accolades like USDA Organic labels or US Hemp Growers Association awards, there are a number of different certificates available. These will help determine if the CBD you’re buying is quality, as well as if they’re faking the funk in certain regards.
● Branding : While branding isn’t everything in CBD (some excellent companies have very ‘homey’ feeling brands), it does speak volumes when people invest in how they look. On the flip side, some brands will try to dupe you into believing they’re legit only to find out they aren’t much past the initial flash. Instead, study the details of a brand, including if everything matches up on what they’re offering versus presenting.
● Return & Shipping Policies : The return policy speaks volumes on how much a company cares. Same can be said for shipping, where what the company is willing to incur says a lot about wanting to have you as a returning customer. Overall, these policies should be what encourages a long-term relationship, not just trying to get a quick sale.
● Price : As we’ve listed out a few variations of prices above, these should give you a good acumen on what’s reasonable. Generally speaking, CBD is priced out by dosage, with other factors such as ingredient quality and sourcing playing a role as well. Outside of those items, the price you’re paying for CBD topicals will ultimately be the biggest deciding factor, especially if this is something you’re trying to buy periodically.
How Do Topicals Work On Pain?
Although research is still early, there’s a lot of promising results on how CBD topicals work with pain. In a 2018 study by the University of Turin out of Italy, CBD topicals were found to help reduce inflammation while also not administering psychoactive effects on the high-brain center. This is a big reason why people take CBD, as it reduces inflammation and pain without making someone feel doped up or zonked out. Previous studies cited in the University of Turin study also note that CBD has been widely used by arthritis patients as well.
Getting into the science of CBD topicals, the Cannabinoid receptors that the body uses are CB1 and CB2. CB1 is usually associated with THC cannabis, as it’s what makes people ‘high’. On the flipside, CB2 is what CBD interacts with, which releases cannabinoids that are naturally found in the body. This reduces the inflammation, and thus, begins the healing process.
How To Use CBD Topicals
Although it seems pretty self-explanatory to rub a topical on your skin, we’ll note that you don’t want to just ‘eyeball it’. First, it’s important to follow the instructions listed, ensuring that you’re not doing too much or letting the product go to waste. Additionally, it’s smart to test a small area of your skin to ensure the CBD doesn’t behave as an irritant. And finally, always consult with your doctor or dermatologist if there are any known allergies that you might not be aware of before taking.
Conclusion: Which CBD Topical Should You Buy?
Our pick is definitely with Verma Farms , who have consistently shown quality, variety, and care into their all-natural lineup of products. As one of the best values money can buy, Verma Farms is more than just buying CBD but entering a community of cannabis lovers. With a few years in the game, Verma Farms is putting up their best work yet. why is why we’re excited to see what comes in the future.
Lastly, if you are looking to improve your health and energy you need to look at sleep as well. There are lots of way to improve your sleep . According to studies better sleep can lead to better concentration, more energy, faster metabolism and lower inflammation. All in all, good sleep will help you get the most out of the products above and set you up for long-term success on your health journey.
Looking for the best CBD you can find? Check out our awards for the best CBD Gummies , best CBD Oi l, Best CBD Oil For Dogs , and Best CBD Oil for cats .
How To Use CBD To Help Manage Pain
Dr. Bindiya Gandhi is an integrative medicine physician with expertise in functional and holistic medicine based in Atlanta, Georgia.
Commissions we earn from partner links on this page do not affect our opinions or evaluations. Our editorial content is based on thorough research and guidance from the Forbes Health Advisory Board.
Table of Contents
- CBD for Pain Relief
- CBD for Chronic Pain
- CBD for Arthritis and Joint Pain
- CBD for Neuropathic Pain
Without the intoxicating properties of its cousin delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD) can provide the human body with a handful of health benefits. Cannabinoids like CBD interact with receptors in the endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in signaling bodily functions, from emotional responses to motor control to energy balance  Mouslech Z, Valla V. Endocannabinoid system: An overview of its potential in current medical practice. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2009;30(2):153-179. .
Over the last two decades, scientists have tested CBD’s efficacy as an analgesic, or painkiller, specifically—and with promising results. While research is ongoing, here’s what we know so far about how we can use CBD oil for pain relief.
Pure, Premium, Powerful CBD
FAB CBD’s products are made from organically grown, lab tested, Colorado hemp. Their range of products include CBD oils, gummies, topical CBD cream, dog treats and more.
CBD for Pain Relief
For now, no CBD-based medications are approved as painkillers in the U.S. Epidiolex, which is used for rare forms of epilepsy, is the only CBD treatment approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Meanwhile, several countries have approved CBD to treat certain conditions. For instance, the U.K. approved it for multiple sclerosis, and Canada approved it for cancer pain. Ongoing research suggests CBD oil for pain can aid medical conditions, including arthritis and fibromyalgia, at varying doses. Some pain may not be treatable by CBD alone, but it can help when paired with THC or Western medication applications.
Interestingly, 60% of U.S. adults who use CBD products do so for its potential pain-relieving effects, according to a recent Forbes Health survey of 2,000 U.S. adults conducted by OnePoll.
What’s more, 60% of U.S. adults have tried CBD and believe it has medicinal benefits.
CBD for Chronic Pain
Chronic pain is defined as any pain lasting longer than several months. Studies have found CBD, often alongside THC, to be an effective pain reliever for various chronic conditions.
In clinical trials, Sativex, a spray with equal parts CBD and THC, proved significantly successful as an analgesic for cancer-related pain  Russo EB. Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2008;4(1):245-259. . The spray, also used for multiple sclerosis-related pain, is approved in Canada to treat cancer pain and is currently undergoing trials for approval and use in the U.S.
A 2019 study found Sativex to be an “effective and well-tolerated add-on treatment” for patients with severe chronic pain stemming from various ailments. The study identified three types of pain: nociceptive (affecting body tissue), neuropathic (affecting nerves) and mixed pain. Sativex helped treat all three kinds but proved especially effective against neuropathic pain.
An earlier study also found CBD to be effective in chronic pain relief for conditions like multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, although across a much smaller sample size  Wade DT, Robson P, House H, Makela P, Aram J. A preliminary controlled study to determine whether whole-plant cannabis extracts can improve intractable neurogenic symptoms. Clin Rehabil. 2003;17(1):21-29. .
CBD for Arthritis and Joint Pain
Arthritis is a broad term that encompasses hundreds of joint-related conditions and pains. Common symptoms include swelling, pain and stiffness in the joints and may progress over time.
Already a proven analgesic for other conditions, CBD shows promise as an anti-inflammatory substance in both animal and preclinical trials, which bodes well for arthritis treatment  Nichols JM, Kaplan BLF. Immune Responses Regulated by Cannabidiol. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2020;5(1):12-31.  Mlost J, Bryk M, Starowicz K. Cannabidiol for Pain Treatment: Focus on Pharmacology and Mechanism of Action. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(22):8870.  Kosgodage US, Mould R, Henley AB, et al. Cannabidiol (CBD) Is a Novel Inhibitor for Exosome and Microvesicle (EMV) Release in Cancer. Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:889.  Lowin T, Tingting R, Zurmahr J, Classen T, Schneider M, Pongratz G. Cannabidiol (CBD): a killer for inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts. Cell Death Dis. 2020;11(8):714. . However, clinical research dedicated to CBD administration for arthritis is less robust and ongoing.
The first controlled trial conducted in 2006 focused on patients with rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in the joints and other affected areas  Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, Jubb RW, McCabe CS. Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006;45(1):50-52. . Researchers found that, compared to a placebo, Sativex significantly improved participants’ pain during movement, pain at rest and quality of sleep. Any adverse reactions to the treatment were mild or moderate, and there were no complications with withdrawal.
In 2018 researchers tested the efficacy of topical CBD gel on participants with osteoarthritis-related knee pain over the course of 12 weeks  Hunter D, Oldfield G, Tich N, Messenheimer J, Sebree T. Synthetic transdermal cannabidiol for the treatment of knee pain due to osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2018;26:S26. . Participants used either 250 milligrams or 500 milligrams, split into two applications, daily. Overall, participants’ weekly pain levels didn’t improve much with CBD compared to placebo. However, when researchers evaluated the average weekly worst pain scores and Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Arthritis Index (WOMAC) physical function scores, participants who applied 250 milligrams of CBD daily experienced significant improvement over placebo participants.
Meanwhile, a small 2019 trial suggests a mix of CBD and THC may prove beneficial for people with fibromyalgia, a type of arthritis that results in whole-body pain and fatigue  van de Donk T, Niesters M, Kowal MA, Olofsen E, Dahan A, van Velzen M. An experimental randomized study on the analgesic effects of pharmaceutical-grade cannabis in chronic pain patients with fibromyalgia. Pain. 2019;160(4):860-869. . The study found that, via a single inhalation, a CBD-THC solution performed better than a placebo and either substance on its own.
CBD for Neuropathic Pain
Various conditions and injuries that damage nerves or the nervous system can result in neuropathic pain. This kind of pain manifests as tingling, numbness, muscle weakness and a sharp, shooting, burning or stabbing pain.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a common cause of neuropathic pain. The disease wears down myelin, a mixture of proteins and phospholipids that coats nerve cells. Sativex is already approved as an MS treatment around the world due to its success in clinical trials. As a spray, Sativex is absorbed in the mouth. Studies support a median dose of eight sprays a day for patients with MS, which provides about 20 milligrams of CBD and 21.6 milligrams of THC  Sativex Oromucosal Spray – Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC). Datapharm. Accessed 7/9/2021. . However, doses vary between patients, and each person needs to find their optimal dose.
A 2020 study also tested topically administered CBD oil as a treatment for patients with peripheral neuropathy, or damage to the peripheral nervous system, which sends information throughout your body from the central nervous system  Xu DH, Cullen BD, Tang M, Fang Y. The Effectiveness of Topical Cannabidiol Oil in Symptomatic Relief of Peripheral Neuropathy of the Lower Extremities. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2020;21(5):390-402. . When compared to placebo, the topical CBD significantly reduced patients’ intense pain and sharp pain, as well as cold and itchy sensations.
Understanding CBD (Cannabidiol) for Back Pain
Cannabidiol, commonly referred to as CBD, is a new and relatively understudied treatment for pain, including back pain. Studies suggest it may help relieve inflammation, which is often a factor in chronic back pain. 1
CBD is available in many forms; topical creams and gels have shown promising results for inflammation and neuropathy, which may make them a good option for back and neck pain. 2
CBD requires more research in order to prove and explain its effectiveness as well as to better understand potential side effects (especially long-term) and potential drug interactions.
What Is CBD?
CBD oil is derived from a plant called cannabis sativa. The plant has over 100 chemical compounds, called cannabinoids, that have a range of effects, including anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain relieving) qualities.
The cannabis sativa plant has two main varieties that are grown for specific purposes:
- THC content. THC is the compound associated with the “high” feeling of marijuana use.
- Industrial (non-drug) uses. This form of the plant contains trace amounts of THC (less than .03%) and can be used to make paper, clothing, and some building material. This variation of the cannabis plant is called hemp.
While CBD is present in both varieties, many of the CBD products available to consumers are from the hemp plant. CBD does not come with the high or psychogenic effects of marijuana.
Ways CBD Treats Back Pain
Research indicates that CBD may reduce back pain by:
- Reducing inflammation 3
- Combating anxiety, often associated with long-lasting or chronic back pain 4
- Helping with sleep and improving overall state of relaxation 5
Some studies suggest that CBD can have an effect on how an individual perceives pain, but more robust research is needed. CBD is generally considered a full-body treatment, which means that it does not target back pain specifically—except in the case of topical products—but contributes to an overall feeling of relaxation and pain relief.
Advocates of CBD believe it can be used to treat a range of conditions in addition to back pain, such as anxiety-related disorders. 5
Potential Risks and Side Effects of CBD
Cannabidiol, even in high amounts, is generally safe. Side effects from CBD may include:
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
More severe side effects, while rare, include:
- Mental confusion
As with other natural products, there is potential for adverse reactions when taken with other medications, especially those that come with grapefruit warnings, such as certain blood thinners. These warnings indicate that certain medications should not be taken with products containing grapefruit.
CBD use prior to surgery
Before having surgery, all cannabis use, including CBD and marijuana, should be disclosed to the surgeon or anesthesiologist. A recent study suggests that cannabis use may have an effect on medications used to sedate patients. 6