Rethink Your Toothpaste! Try CBD Oils to Improve Your Oral Health
At the store, you stand in front of a full aisle of oral healthcare products, trying to decide which one can best protect your smile from gum disease. Most of them contain fluoride, which helps to strengthen your tooth enamel and they kill bacteria, but do they really help your gums avoid infection? Well, you have another option available to you. Using cannabidiol (CBD) oils in your oral care can offer a much better alternative to traditional toothpastes and help you give your entire smile more protection.
The Truth about CBD
When you initially think of CBD oils, you like associate it with the cannabis sativa plant, which can be used to produce marijuana. However, CBD is extracted without the compound that creates the “high” sensation, such as the psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). On its own, CBD is safe and non-addictive, and it can have a positive effect on your smile.
Your Oral Microbiome
Your mouth is often considered the gatekeeper to the rest of the body. On a daily basis, your mouth is exposed to toxins from harmful pathogens, acidic foods, and more that can put it and your body at increased risk of infection. The bacteria that cause gum disease create inflammation that can damage not just your smile but your overall health as well. To keep these bacteria from causing tooth loss and wreaking havoc on your well-being, it’s important to promote a healthy environment in your mouth.
How CBD Can Help Your Oral Health
Instead of indiscriminately killing all bacteria in your mouth like traditional toothpaste, CBD oil specifically targets harmful bacteria, leaving the good behind to start the process of breaking down food particles for digestion, to fight inflammation, and to support your immune system. That way, your mouth is better protected from cavities, bad breath, bleeding gums, and other unpleasant, potentially dangerous symptoms.
Even if you already have gum disease, CBD oils can be beneficial for your smile. Because of its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and bone-stimulating properties, this substance can help restore oral health after this damaging condition. In severe cases, gum disease can create pockets of trapped plaque and bacteria, which can be difficult to eradicate through scaling and root planing alone. CBD oils can neutralize these hidden threats and speed up the healing process, helping you recover sooner.
Although fluoride toothpastes have long been the go-to option for oral healthcare, they may be causing more harm than good by eliminating all bacteria in the mouth. As an alternative, CBD can address the bad bacteria, preventing infection, while still allowing the good bacteria to serve your body. The next time you go shopping for toothpaste, consider giving CBD a try. Your gums will thank you for it later!
About the Practice
If you are looking for an experienced dentist in Williamsville, Amherst Dental Group has the expertise you’re seeking. Each of the seven dentists has many years of experience, and several have achieved prestigious accolades, such as Fellowship with the Academy of General Dentistry and Advanced Education in General Dentistry. If you have questions about CBD oils or other oral healthcare concerns, you can contact Amherst Dental Group by calling (716) 689-8882 or clicking here.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Office Hours Monday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
CBD Oil for Oral Health: Can It Help with Gum Disease?
When you fail to take routine care of your gums, teeth and mouth, there are chances that you will end developing gum disease. The first stage of gum disease is medically known as gingivitis, where gums start bleeding and sometimes, even hurt, which is usually, the second stage, known as periodontitis.
The best way to keep your gums healthy and happy is to brush and floss your teeth on a regular basis. Even so, we aren’t used to taking proper care of our oral health. Perhaps this is the reason why more than 40% of the adult population pays a visit to the dentist once in a month or two. While there are several medical procedures and medicines available to help you take care of your gums, CBD is one natural and potent way to do the same. In fact, many people suffering from gum disease have reportedly felt relieved in their pain, bleeding and bad breath of the gums. How CBD oil can do that, we will find out in a jiffy!
What is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD, is a naturally-occurring compound found in the cannabis family. It is one of the 104 compounds that are a part of the cannabis sativa plant. However, it is specially known for not containing any or almost nil quantity of THC—another cannabis compound responsible for getting you high or stoned. Thus, CBD is a non-psychoactive substance. The best thing about this product is that CBD has proven therapeutic abilities. For instance, it has helped people from across the globe in dealing with their anxiety, depression, inflammation, and chronic pains, amongst many other health conditions. While research is still in its infancy to prove its potential as a natural medical treatment, there are several anecdotes that are affirmative in nature. In the same way, CBD oil is being considered as a great alternative to help you keep your oral health in place.
CBD and Oral health
One should know that prescribing medicine should still be your number one pick, when it comes to seriously taking care of your gums. However, using CBD as a supplement in the beginning will make you realize why it is an option worth-going after. Even scientists have approved the CBD has many properties that can bring improvement in your oral health, such as-
- It is anti-bacterial in nature
- It also has analgesic or pain-relieving characteristics
- It is antiseptic in nature
- It is anti-inflammatory as well
Thus, there are several dental conditions where CBD oil comes in handy. Some of them are listed below-
- Tooth decay – The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD makes it a good aid for minor tooth decay. It can also reverse the damage in some cases.
- Tooth ache –It’s anti-inflammatory and pain-killing characteristics again help in relieving people from any kind of toothache. The best part is that it is a natural healer. Thus, no side effects.
- Swollen gums – Due to bad dental hygiene, many people develop bacteria in their gums which leads to their swelling. This can also result in bleeding and ache, if not treated within time. Swollen gums can also be a result of inflammation, and this is where CBD can help in making them healthy again.
- Tooth sensitivity – A swollen nerve often leads to sensitivity in tooth or gums. CBD has the ability to create a cover or a shield on the sensitive tooth or gum, in order to protect it from hurting or being exposed to the damage.
How to apply CBD oil in gums?
The application of CBD oil depends on the oral area that you have a problem in. Even so, here are some suggestions on how to apply CBD oil in your gums.
- If you want you can directly buy a CBD toothpaste, or simply add a few drops of CBD oil in your toothpaste before brushing your teeth.
- If you suffer from toothache, then directly apply the oil on the region where it hurts the most. That would bring you instant relief as well. The same can be done in case of swollen gums.
- Another way of consuming the oil is by adding a few drops in your tea or coffee and gargling the same in your mouth, especially close to the area where your problem is.
- If you had a dental surgery, then you can simply add a few drops of the oil on a gauze pad and put the same in the space left after the surgery. The pad will help in reducing the pain since CBD is an analgesic.
Conclusion: Can CBD Help Oral Health?
CBD oil is the quickest way to relieve your gums from pain, bleeding and swelling. Also, it is a natural product that is easily available in the market. You must also know that there are no side-effects of consuming CBD. However, you might have to decide on the dosage of the oil yourself. You can start with the minimum dosage and stop when you feel you have reached your ideal dosage. In any case, CBD is absolutely safe to consume and there hasn’t been a single case of CBD overdose. All you have to do is make sure that you are buying your CBD oil from a reputable company and you will be good to try this magical compound!